The Halpern Enterprises website was overdue for a complete overhaul. The website’s design and functionality had not been updated since the mid-2000s, making the company looked dated and irrelevant.
The website faced additional challenges:
- The site was not responsive, rendering it useless on mobile devices.
- With no analytics tracking installed, there was no way to determine what was bringing users to the site or what content they viewed.
- There was no easy way for potential tenants to discover available spaces.
A web development company had already been selected and begun work on the site design before I was chosen to lead this project, so I was shocked to discover they had not prepared a creative brief for the 5-figure website overhaul. Among other things, the creative brief should have outlined:
- Research on industry competitors and how their sites functioned
- Halpern’s quantitative and qualitative goals for the site
- Necessary features and aesthetic goals
None of these had been discussed with the client prior to the development company beginning work, so I paused the development process to answer the above points and assess, with company leadership’s input:
- How the Halpern brand was defined and viewed, both internally and externally
- The company’s unique value proposition
- The needs of various target audiences and the actions Halpern wanted them to take while on the site
When the mock-ups designed by the outside web development team did not meet Halpern’s approval, I led creative direction with an internal team and sent over a mock-up that articulated the company’s aesthetic goals.
- The new website is now responsive, both aesthetically pleasing and functional on any size device.
- Having installed Google Analytics, we discovered the new site attracted roughly 17,000 unique visitors in its first year and 32,500 in its second year, a 191% increase in unique visitors. There was also a 136% increase in page views in the second year.
- The integration of Property Capsule portfolio software now gives Halpern’s prospective tenants a seamless, automated, always-current presentation of property information.
- With the design of the email newsletter updated to match the new look, the company’s corporate presence is seamless. Open rates have increased 1.25% with the new design.
The end result is a digital experience that is now functional for every user (on every device) and looks the part of an esteemed company that is a leader in the commercial development industry.